Topic Options
#2289 - 06/18/08 08:20 PM scanning material
Jan67 Offline
stranger

Hi, I am new to 123 quilt. I have scanned material and it does not show anything but a white box, I know it has scanned it looked ok when I saved it but does no show up when I go into
the area in 123 quilt to use the scan.
Thanks for what ever help... jan67

#2290 - 06/18/08 08:32 PM Re: scanning material [Re: Jan67]
LindaB Administrator Offline
veteran

[quote]I have scanned material and it does not show anything but a white box, I know it has scanned it looked ok when I saved it but does no show up when I go into the area in 123 quilt to use the scan. [/quote]

There are two possibilities:

1> what may have happened is that the entire screen was scanned not just the fabric. When that happens you get a lot of white area around the fabric and that's what shows up on screen. You will have to rescan the fabric and make sure only a small portion of the fabric is included in the scan. (approximately 4" X 4")

2> Another possibility is that the DPI is too high. The scanning DPI should be 100. Anything larger than this will cause the file size to be too large. When it's too large, the program shows a white box.

It could also be a combination of the two. Reduce the size of the scan so that only the fabric is scanned and set the DPI to 100.

I hope that helps.

#2291 - 06/19/08 10:59 PM Re: scanning material [Re: LindaB]
Jan67 Offline
stranger

Hi,
I changed the dpi on the scanner to 75 and resized and all turned out well.. thanks Jan

#2292 - 06/19/08 11:55 PM Re: scanning material [Re: Jan67]
veteran

Hi Jan,

[quote]I changed the dpi on the scanner to 75 and resized and all turned out well.. [/quote]

That's Great! Thanks for letting me know.

#3109 - 12/06/16 10:32 PM Re: scanning material [Re: LindaB]
texaslise Offline
stranger

Loc: south central TX
Can anyone recommend a scanner for fabric? All the posts I am seeing are old. I am not familiar with scanners at all. Do you have to have a printer also to transfer the file into Quilt-Pro 6? I will have my program and computer sometime in December. For now, visions of quilts are dancing in my head!

#3110 - 12/07/16 06:18 PM Re: scanning material [Re: texaslise]
veteran

HI Texaslise,

No sorry I can't recommend scanner as it's been too long since I've purchased one. However, I can give you these guidelines:

The scanner should be able to scan at 100 DPI in 24 bit color and it should use a Twain Driver.

Printers don't transfer files, they only print [although there are printer/scanner combos]. But if you use a scanner with a twain driver, Quilt-Pro will be able to communicate with it and place the scanned files in the correct location in Quilt-Pro.

Below is a link to the fabric scanning lesson. Please note: In the lesson I used a Epson scanner but the instructions are only meant to be a guideline as not all scanners are the exactly same. Even if you purchased an Epson scanner, the software may look different. In other words, your new scanner should be able to do similar things as shown in the lesson, but it might do it a little differently. The scanner manual should be able to tell you how.

http://www.quiltpro.com/tech/Lessons/QPV6/QP6-ScanFabric.pdf

Edited by LindaB (12/07/16 06:20 PM)
Edit Reason: clarify

#3112 - 12/22/16 12:58 AM Re: scanning material [Re: LindaB]
texaslise Offline
stranger

Loc: south central TX
Thanks for the info. I will be getting my computer and program on Saturday. Looking forward to it!

Moderator:  LindaB